Figuring out coating│Coating layers and types of telescope & binoculars
Different coatings can bring different benefits, such as filtering out more interfering light, improving the user experience, protecting the lens, extending the service life, and so on.
The function of the lens coating is to prevent the haze-like white phenomenon caused by the diffuse light reflected on the lens, increase the light transmittance, increase the contrast and sharpness of the color, and improve the observation effect. Generally, the more, deeper and thicker the coating layer is, the better the viewing effect and the better the brightness.
1) Coated Optics: It is the lowest level of AR Coating, which is usually coated on the outer surfaces of the two objective lenses and eyepieces, while the inner lenses and prisms are not coated.
2) Fully Coated: All lenses and prisms are single-coated, but if an optical plastic lens is used in the eyepiece, the plastic lens may not be coated.
3) Multi-Coated: At least one optical surface is coated with multi-layer AR Coating, other optical surfaces may be coated with a single-layer film, or may not be coated at all; usually only the outer surfaces of the two objective lenses and eyepieces are coated with multiple coated .
4) Fully Multi-Coated: All lenses and prisms are coated with AR Coating, and all optical surfaces are coated with multiple coated.
The more common ones are broadband green film, decorative green film, red film and blue film, etc.:
1) Broadband green film: It is also called anti-reflection green film in some places. It is currently one of the best coatings. Different color bands will appear at different angles (this is the performance of multi-coated), and the image is very clear. High degree of color reproduction is also good.
2) Red film: generally only used on red dots, this is more general and has no special features.
3) Blue film: It is a widely used coating method, which is slightly yellow and darker than the broadband green film. The blue film is also layered, some are plated with three layers, some are better with five layers, and some are only one layer.
4) Decorative green film: This is very poor, the color is very similar to the anti-reflection green film, but the optical performance is not flattering. The easier way to identify is that the decorative green film has a lot of reflection, while the broadband green film is very light.
Contact Person: Miss. Allie Nie